Friday, June 26, 2009

In The Hospital

Well, it finally happened. I got so sick that I had to go to the hospital. Here is how it went. I went to the ER on Tuesday evening and they did nothing. Called my doctor first thing on Wednesday and he said for me to go back to the ER and stay and let them figure out what is wrong with me. So I went, they did a chest xray on Tues night, then on Wednesday they did an EKG and an ultrasound of my abdomen which included my stomach, gall bladder, right kidney, liver, and pancreas. They really did not find much but I was having a hard time breathing. So they sent me home.

Well then comes Thursday, I had an appt with my doctor to follow up from the ER. He did not like what he was hearing from me. He was worried that my trouble breathing and my chest hurting was a sign of a blood clot. So off to the hospital to get checked in for observation. I was not there 10 min and they were doing all sorts of stuff...blood work, telemetry (where they have you hooked to a machine to monitor your heart), another chest xray. Then they wanted to do an ultrasound of both my legs. That hurt. They press down in different areas so they could get a good picture of what was going on. Then I had an MRI of my abdomen. Not fun. I can not do closed spaces since I have been sick with my bipolar condition. So I am trying to make it thru the test and not have to quit so they do not have to start over again....and I had a medicine to relax me and that did not work either.

Then back to my room to do more stuff. They wanted me on breathing treatments every 4 hours and check my blood sugar every 4 hours also since it can go low. They also did an ABG, that stand for arterial blood gas...NOT FUN!! That stinkin' hurt. They go into an artery, not a vein and get blood from there so they can test different things for that. OUCH!! And it still hurts right now. They hooked me up to an IV and that was about it for the day.

Then today...did not do much except tell me that I have a bad case of bronchitis. That does not explain all my symptoms, but it may account for my breathing and chest hurting.

I am home right now. I have been for the past about 5 hours. I am not feeling better right now. Actually I felt worse when I got home but I am feeling not as bad as I did earlier. I can sit up straight now rather than earlier when I could not.

That is about it for me right now...going to bed....til next time.